- Lexaria’s patented DehydraTECH(TM) technology provides faster delivery times, increases bioavailability, increases brain absorption, improves drug potency, reduces administration costs, and masks unwanted flavors
- The epilepsy research will compare the FDA-approved Epidiolex(R) to the company’s proprietary DehydraTECH-CBD formulation
- The global cannabidiol (“CBD”) market had an estimated value of $2.7 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach $111.8 billion by 2030, driven by an increase in demand for CBD use in health and wellness industries
Lexaria Bioscience (NASDAQ: LEXX) (NASDAQ: LEXXW), a global innovator in drug delivery platforms, recently announced that the first phase of its epilepsy research program, EPIL-A21-1, has begun. The research program will assess the seizure-inhibiting activity of cannabidiol (“CBD”) administered via the company’s proprietary DehydraTECH(TM) technology, compared to the only FDA-approved CBD-based seizure medication, Epidiolex(R) (https://cnw.fm/tNlxG). Epidiolex(R) is the first and only FDA CBD medication for the treatment of seizures associated with two rare forms of pediatric epilepsy — Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome.
Using DehydraTECH’s advanced drug delivery capabilities, Lexaria hopes to demonstrate superior performance in the research program. The company expects to achieve significant gains in systemic delivery and brain uptake — which have been evidenced and announced from other studies comparing the DehydraTECH 2.0 CBD formulations with concentration-matched controls. Lexaria believes this could improve therapeutic efficacy for multiple conditions of the nervous system, including but not limited to epilepsy.
The EPIL-A21-1 research program contains two main studies to be performed in rodents following the first phase — a pilot animal model that has already begun. The main studies are slated to commence in May/June and involve an acute seizure model induced by electrical stimulation and chemically induced seizure models. Lexaria has chosen these models because they were previously selected by other researchers studying the antiepileptic effects of CBD during the Epidiolex formulation.
The DehydraTECH-CBD test articles needed to commence dosing have already been manufactured and delivered to the third-party laboratory tasked with completing the research program. Lexaria will release updates on the studies occasionally beginning in Q3, 2022.
Lexaria’s DehydraTECH technology is designed for formulating and delivering lipophilic (fat-soluble) drugs and active ingredients. DehydraTECH increases effectiveness and improves the way active pharmaceutical ingredients enter the bloodstream. Benefits of the DehydraTECH technology include:
- Faster delivery times — subjects begin to feel the effects of the product in minutes
- Increase in bioavailability — the technology is more efficient at delivering products into the bloodstream
- Increased brain absorption — testing suggests that DehydraTECH significantly improves the amount of drug delivered across the blood-brain barrier
- Improved drug potency — more ingested product is made available to the body, requiring lower dosages to achieve the same desired effect
- Reduction in drug administration costs — lower doses translate to lower administration costs
- Masks unwanted taste — the technology eliminates or reduces the need for sweeteners
By leveraging its technology, Lexaria Bioscience can successfully tap into the ever-growing CBD market. The global CBD sector had an estimated value of $2.7 billion for 2021 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 51% by 2030, reaching a value of $111.8 billion (https://cnw.fm/Mj8X8 and https://cnw.fm/eNA6n). The increase in demand for CBD use in the health and wellness market is the primary driver of growth. As CBD becomes legal in more regions, it is attracting the attention of e-commerce platforms — with North America dominating the market. The growth can also be attributed to the increased adoption of technology and overall greater investments in research and development opportunities.
For more information, visit the company’s website at www.LexariaBioscience.com.
NOTE TO INVESTORS: The latest news and updates relating to LEXX are available in the company’s newsroom at https://cnw.fm/LEXX
CBDWire (CBDW) is an information service that provides (1) access to our news aggregation and syndication servers, (2) CBDNewsBreaks that summarize corporate news and information, (3) enhanced press release services, (4) social media distribution and optimization services, and (5) a full array of corporate communication solutions. As a multifaceted financial news and content distribution company with an extensive team of contributing journalists and writers, CBDW is uniquely positioned to best serve private and public companies that desire to reach a wide audience of investors, consumers, journalists and the general public. CBDW has an ever-growing distribution network of more than 5,000 key syndication outlets across the country. By cutting through the overload of information in today’s market, CBDW brings its clients unparalleled visibility, recognition and brand awareness. CBDW is where news, content and information converge.
Receive Text Alerts from CBDWire: Text “Cannabis” to 21000
For more information please visit https://www.cbdwire.com and or https://CBDWire.News
CBDWire is part of the InvestorBrandNetwork.